Thursday, September 27, 2007

Senate appropriations hearing errupts into chaos


Senator Byrd (D-WV) who chairs the appropriations committee, gave a stirring speech against the war in his opening statements.Defense Secretary Bob Gates, Joint Chiefs Chairman Peter Pace and Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte were at the hearing asking the Senate for $200 billion more dollars for the war in Iraq. Read more about the protest here:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gatesside27sep27,1,5193794.story?coll=la-headlines-nation&ctrack=1&cset=true

I was arrested before the nearly two dozen code-pinkers and war protesters were kicked out of the hearing, because I came specifically to denounce Negroponte. I made a fairly large, black banner with "DEATH SQUADS FOLLOW NEGROPONTE" painted in white letters. When Negroponte started to testify, I went behind him and held up my banner. I've heard from others that were there that "the cameras went crazy" but I've yet to see any mention on the internet of my action. Oh well, at least the Senators and their staff saw it. I spent a few hours in lock-up and got out later that day. Who really belongs in jail, that's what I'd like to know.


Video:

(New: There actually is a shot of me holding up the banner as we "welcome" Pace, Gates, and Negroponte -- though it wasn't until he actually started to testify that I came up right behind him and got arrested. This is a pretty astounding, if low-quality video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xzv-qlZMPQ&mode=related&search=

Here's an embedded video of the hearing being broken up by Pace's remarks on homosexuality:





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, impotent rage always makes me chuckle. "Clear the room, clear the room, clear the room, clear the room, clear the room. I've had enough of this!" :P What a grouchy weiner. ((( i )))