Thursday, September 6, 2012

Remembering Rachel and her friends

A couple days ago I asked my oldest son if he knew who Rachel Corrie was. He didn't. This isn't surprising, being that he's only 14 and doesn't live with me, but still it's disappointing. He's very bright and more than a little socially conscious (much like Rachel Corrie at that age). I'm sure they teach all about Rosa Parks in his school. And deservedly so -- her refusal to give up her bus seat for a white man helped spark the Civil Rights movement. But Rachel did something important, too. She refused to give up her stand between a bulldozer and a Palestinian family's home, and she paid for it with her life.

Recently Northerntruthseeker put up an article from Desert Peace called "A Reminder That Rachel Corrie Was Not Alone." I was surprised by how little I knew about the Palestinian conflict myself, and the innocent lives taken for standing out and speaking for justice.

The Zionist boot-licking mainstream media would have us all forget about the lives of Rachel Corrie, and Vittorio Arrigoni, Bassem and Jawaher Aburahma, and the brave crew of the Mavi Marmara, including 19-year-old American Furkan Dogan. Let us resolve to remember them in our hearts. They are our modern-day saints and heroes.

No comments: